Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My Emotions

My emotions were created to be an expression of God Himself. They were created to be an outward expression of my soul’s response to the love and the joy and the peace of God, to His faithfulness and goodness and kindness and gentleness and mercy and grace, to His loving care for me. My emotions were not created to respond to the devil and my fleshly desires and the world’s temptations. My emotions were created to exalt and magnify the Lord with everything that is in me. They are the outward expression of the inward man’s response to God and His awesome love.

My emotions were created to be a response to my own spirit blessing the Lord.
Psalm 103:1-5 tells us to bless the Lord with all that is within us. We are to bless the Lord and remember all His benefits. He forgives all our iniquities. He heals all our diseases. He redeems our life from destruction. He crowns us with lovingkindness and tender mercies. He satisfies our mouth with good things so that our youth is renewed like the eagle’s, strong and powerful and soaring like the eagles’s.

My emotions were created to be a response to God and not a response to the world, not a response to my flesh, not a response to the devil’s torment. I was created to express God on this earth. My emotions are a vehicle to do that. They are not bad. What we allow them to do can be bad, but God through His Word and through His Holy Spirit can channel our emotions into the right path as a expression of His goodness.

My emotions should be that part of my soul that responds to God, that responds to His loving care for me as His child, for His loving training of me as His child, for His wonderful vibrant life pulsating through my being. My emotions were given to me by God as a form of expression in response to Him.

My, my what a wonderful God. He has given us so many tools to praise Him and to worship Him. When emotions are under the control of the Holy Spirit, they are holy and acceptable to God. They are guided by His tender, loving hand of control.

Anger is an emotion that few understand. It is not to be a worldly anger in reaction to someone doing something to us that we don’t like. It is to be an anger toward the devil and toward what he has done to people in this world. It is to be directed toward righteously enforcing the defeat of satan and his demonic forces in this world against God’s created human beings. Jesus had righteous anger in the temple when he turned over the tables of the money changers. “This is My Father’s house,” He said, “and you have turned it into a den of thieves.” That is righteous anger. Righteous anger is not reacting to your husband because he said something you didn’t like. Righteous anger is not being angry with a friend because you found out they spoke against you when they were not in your presence. All of those reactions are worldly reactions. It is only when it is a God-directed anger toward the work of the enemy that it is righteous anger.

Love is another emotion that few understand. God’s love is a decision we make to love someone, regardless of what they have done or continue to do. Love is a choice. The emotions line up with that choice when it is done God’s way. The problem is that most people express what they consider to be love when it is merely emotion, not backed by any decision or choice, just in response to someone treating them kindly or unkindly. When it is earthly love, the first time that person disappoints us or gets angry with us or talks sharply to us, we respond in anger or sharpness ourselves. No, Godly love is the same all the time, regardless of how we are treated. The emotions will follow.

Our emotions were not created to express the works of the flesh but the fruit of the Holy Spirit of God dwelling in our spirit. Galatians 5:22,23 KJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
There is nothing which can stand against the fruit of the spirit, bring a charge against you and succeed. Remember that love never fails, and if you allow God, Who is Love, to express Himself through you, there is nothing that can cause you to fail. Let your emotions be led of the Spirit.