Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Psalm 91 Study, Part 5

As we continue our study of Psalm 91, let’s look at verse 2 today.

I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely and in Him I [confidently] trust!

As we dwell in His Presence, we are saying something. We are saying that God is our Refuge and Fortress and that we totally trust Him and rely on Him in our life.

What are we saying when we say that He is our Refuge? A refuge is a place where we are safe and protected. It is our hiding place from all physical danger. And what is a fortress? A fortress is a place of strength, a stronghold, our defense against all human enemies. You see, satan tries to erect strongholds in our lives that are bad. God is our stronghold that is good. We want the stronghold of God. There are many scriptures on refuge and fortress. Let’s look at them today. I will be taking most of them from the Amplified Bible.

Take these scriptures and meditate on them and confess them out loud until you know that you know that you know that God is, indeed, your Refuge and Fortress on Whom you lean and rely in every situation.

Psalm 46:1,7
God is our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble.
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge (our Fortress and High Tower).

God is the One Who is the mighty One. When we are in Him, abiding in Him, He is our impenetrable Shield to all temptation. He is always present with us. And He has proven Himself that He will help us when we are in trouble. When we see the words “Lord of hosts,” that is a warrior situation, that is a battle situation. He is there to help us win our battles. He is a High Tower that we can climb into and be safe, while we behold our enemy and his plans for our lives shattered.

Psalm 48:3
God has made Himself known in her palaces as a Refuge (a High Tower and a Stronghold).

We see here in this verse that God is our Stronghold. We don’t have to submit to satan’s strongholds. We must remember that a stronghold is a house constructed of thoughts, and it develops a pattern of thinking. In Psalm 28:8 we read: The Lord is their [unyielding] Strength, and He is the stronghold of salvation to [me] His anointed. In fact, look at verse 7. The Lord is my Strength and my [impenetrable] Shield; my heart trusts in, relies on, and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him.

Psalm 57:1,2,5,7,10
Be merciful and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed.

The above scripture is a good one to pray for ourselves in the days in which we live.

I will cry to God Most High, Who performs on my behalf and rewards me [Who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them]!
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth!
My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is steadfast and confident! I will sing and make melody.
For Your mercy and loving-kindness are great, reaching to the heavens, and Your truth and faithfulness to the clouds.

In Psalm 57 we see that as we fix our hearts on God, as we steadfastly behold Him and His strength and His might, we will be confident that He will bring to pass His purposes for us and that He will surely complete His work in us. We will accomplish what He plans for us to do. We must believe that. We must exercise our faith for that.

We will finish our study of the scriptures on refuge and fortress and strength tomorrow. Meanwhile, take these scriptures and meditate on them day and night. I am refreshing myself even as I am typing and am once again reminded of how much I can trust the Lord, or how much I can depend on Him. He is the One Who can take care of it all.