Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Magnify The Lord And His Word

I enjoy magnifying glasses. It is so interesting to look at words on a page in a book with a magnifying glass. Those words appear to be larger. They are still the same size in the book, but they have been increased in size by the magnifying glass for greater readability. Magnifying glasses are marvelous inventions. Eyeglasses are a form of magnification. What was once a blur becomes clear as a crystal glass. I can attest to that fact. The first time I went to an eye doctor, I thought everyone saw the way I did. I didn’t appear to have any problem. When the doctor put the lens in front of my eye, I could clearly see objects across the street which had been a blur before. What a delight it was for me to see clearly.

In the same way, our spiritual life is a blur, and we don’t know that we have a problem until the magnificent Word of God is applied to our spiritual eyes. For the first time, we see clearly through the lens of the Word of God. In 2 Corinthians 3:18 in the Amplified Bible we read how we are transformed into God’s image as we behold in the Word of God His glory, which is really His person revealed to us.

Before we look at any other scriptures, let’s check on the definition of magnify. It is a simple definition. It means “to make great.” We all know that. To magnify means “to enlarge, to make bigger.” Magnifying glasses are very useful to those who cannot see clearly. Even so, the Word of God is necessary to see God clearly. His Word reveals Him in His splendor, in His magnificence, in His glory.

Now, let’s look at a few scriptures that talk about magnifying the Lord.

Psalm 34:3
O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.

In Genesis 19:19 Lot spoke to the Lord and was gratefully talking about His mercy which He had magnified to Lot by saving his life (when he did not deserve it, I might add). God is the same way with us. He magnifies Himself to us and delivers us when we don’t deserve it. He loves us so dearly that He desires to rescue us and set us in a place of abundance and joy in our lives.

Psalm 35:27, Psalm 40:16, and Psalm 70:4 talk about saying continually: “Let the Lord God be magnified.” In Psalm 35:27, we see that we are to say continually: “…Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.” Now don’t turn me off just because I used the word “prosperity.” As I have stated before, and I must state it again: Prosperity is about a whole lot more than money. Prosperity is achieving excellence in every area of our lives; that includes health, wealth, peace, well-being, loving marriages, obedient children, delightful relationships with friends. As we see in 3 John 2, John prayed that we would prosper and be in health, even as our souls prosper. Our souls (minds, wills, emotions) can only prosper in one way. They prosper as we attend to God’s Word and walk in His ways, magnifying Him, rather than things on this earth.

I have several questions to ask you today. What magnifying glass are you using for your life? What are you magnifying? Are you using the magnifying glass of God’s Word, or are you using the magnifying glass of man’s word and opinion to make your life great? Are you applying the magnifying glass of God’s Word to the problem areas in your life, or are you applying the magnifying glass of man’s word and opinions to those problem areas? What we magnify is what we see the most clearly. Are we magnifying our problems, or are we magnifying our great God, the problem solver, the One Who is the solution to any problem that we may encounter in our life’s journey? I know that I need to take a quick checkup on myself. What am I magnifying today? I want God’s magnifying glass—His Word. How about you?

Magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt His name together, for He has done great things for us.