Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Bless

As I read James 3 yesterday, I realized the impact words we speak have on other people and situations in their lives. We can speak and think words of encouragement over them, or we can speak words of criticism and judgment. Regardless of what another person is doing that we may think is wrong, we must find positive words to bless them. This is not always easy, especially if we see things that people are doing wrong. However, I am reminded of what Jesus told us to do. Don’t look at the small splinter in someone else’s eye when you have a beam in yours.

I have been pondering much lately about our effect on people around us. Even our thoughts can affect them. What a power God has given us as humans to affect the world in which we live.

Today, I want you to do an exercise in being doers of the Word of God. Who is the person who “bugs” you the most? Who is the person you think needs changing the most? Who is the person about whom you find yourself thinking critical and judgmental thoughts? This doing of the Word of God that I am about to ask each of you to do is not for weaklings. And by the way, I am doing it myself, and have been doing so for quite a while.

I am sure that the Lord by the end of the last paragraph had already placed the person’s face in front of you. Today and as many days and weeks and months as it takes, find positive things to think about them. Speak positive words regarding them, even if they are “in your face” all the time. Yes, bless them, even if you don’t agree with the way they are doing things. Yes, bless them, even if you think they are wrong. Yes, bless them, even if they don’t like you and find every opportunity to let you know that. Yes, bless them, even if you don’t like them and want to tell them as much.

Our mind and our tongue can be used either to bless someone or to curse them. We as God’s children have an even more powerful mind and tongue, because the power of God is in us. We must be watchful over what we say and think. We can do much damage or we can do much good. We can be responsible for a person’s demise or we can be responsible for their turnaround. We make a tremendous difference in the world.

Here are some scriptures for all of us to meditate as we choose to bless others who don’t deserve it (or at least we think they don’t deserve our blessing).

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength (firm, impenetrable Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 49:3
My mouth shall speak wisdom and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.

James 1:19
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, Let every man be quick to hear (a ready listener), slow to speak, slow to take offence and to get angry.

Confess:
I choose to love _______ and do only good for _______. I choose to bless _______ with the goodness of God today. I choose to think pleasant thoughts toward ______. Set a watch over my lips that I will speak only that which is lovely and of a good report. I choose to think only thoughts which are true, lovely, and of a good report. I choose to see others through the eyes of Jesus.

As we practice returning good for evil, we are like our Heavenly Father. And there will be so much more peace and joy in our lives personally.

We all can do this. Come, follow Jesus!