Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Monday, November 13, 2006

A Grateful Heart

A conversation with my son triggered this Pearls of Wisdom today. He was talking about having a grateful heart where you are right now and that no one will go any further in life until he/she has a grateful heart where they are, regardless of circumstances. He speaks from experience because of where he has come from several years ago when his company had a large layoff, when the computer industry tightened its belt. He said that he had to learn to be grateful when it looked like there was nothing for which to be grateful. His gratitude certainly paid off because today he is once again living in the reality of what he enjoys the most—the computer/tech environment.

Having said that, let’s look at what the Word of God tells us about gratitude or the lack thereof. I have a favorite scripture I like to quote in the positive aspect, even though it is written regarding those who do not serve the Lord with gladness of heart. Here is the way I quote it to myself: Deuteronomy 28:47 in the Amplified Bible. I SERVE THE LORD WITH JOYFULNESS OF MIND AND HEART IN GRATITUDE FOR THE ABUNDANCE OF ALL WITH WHICH HE HAS BLESSED ME. I couple this scripture with John 1:16 in the Amplified Bible. OUT OF HIS FULLNESS, ABUNDANCE I HAVE RECEIVED ONE GRACE AFTER ANOTHER AND SPIRITUAL BLESSING UPON SPIRITUAL BLESSING, AND EVEN FAVOR UPON FAVOR AND GIFT HEAPED UPON GIFT.

These two scriptures have seen me through some pretty tough times. There is something about being thankful and grateful that turns your heart toward God and His goodness. It releases God’s joy that strengthens you and gives you the ability to continue on the road of life.

The fullness of God in us and His goodness come from Him filling us with the full measure of Himself and making everything complete, nothing missing and nothing broken, for our lives. (Ephesians 1:23) That fullness comes from the Holy Spirit indwelling our innermost being to strengthen and reinforce us with His mighty power, His ability to walk through an otherwise impossible situation to the other side. (Ephesians 3:16)

There’s a walk in the powerful footsteps of God that is like no other walk we can make. As we follow His Word, we are following Him. King David had an understanding of this walk of power from a heart of gratitude when he experienced many of the things he did. His Psalms reflect His ability to praise and thank his God, even when it looked like things weren’t going too well. He encourages us over and over in the Psalms. You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore (Psalm 16:11).

Let’s look at some of the things he said. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever. Psalm 71:5,14 For You are my hope; O Lord God…and the source of my confidence. But I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more. Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 107:1,2 O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever! Let the redeemed (the delivered) of the Lord say so, whom He has delivered (released), from the hand (power, strength) of the adversary (enemy, crowded place, trouble, a tight place). Psalm 103:1-5 I bless You, Lord, with all my soul; all that is within me blesses You. I bless Your Holy Name. I remember all your benefits. You forgive all my iniquities. You heal all my diseases. You redeem my life from destruction. You crown me with lovingkindness and tender mercies. You satisfy my mouth with good things so that my youth is renewed like the eagles, strong and power and soaring like the eagles.

Repeat after me. Let’s make a good confession now.
Colossians 3:2
I set my mind and keep it set on what is above. I set my mind on the higher things, the high life, and not on the things of this earth, the low life.


Colossians 2:6,7 I have received Christ Jesus the Lord and regulate my life and conduct myself in union with Him as one with Him and I conform to Him and His Kingdom laws and standards. I have the roots of my entire life firmly and deeply fixed and grounded and founded in Him. I am continually being built up in Him. I become increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith. I abound and overflow in the faith with thanksgiving.

All scripture taken from the Amplified Bible.