Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Psalm 103

We’re going to look at Psalm 103:1-5 today. As far as I am concerned, these 5 verses are a summary of what our Lord does for us every day, all the time, 24-7.

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and remember all his benefits:
He forgives all my iniquities.
He heals all my diseases.
He redeems my life from destruction.
He crowns me with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
He satisfies my mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's, strong and powerful and soaring like the eagle’s.

What does it mean to bless the Lord? The word for bless here is barak, to kneel, an act of adoration. Magnify Him, exalt Him and praise Him for Who He is. Thank Him for what He does and Who He is.

And we see here that our soul (mind, will, emotions) and ALL that is within us is to kneel and adore Him, to praise His holy name. His name is the Great I AM. He is all names---healer, provider, shepherd, Almighty God, Lord, Love, Life, peace, banner, the God Who is everywhere, the God Who is more than enough. Are these enough reasons for starters for all of us to kneel down and adore Him? But most of all He is Love. He loves us and adores us and cares for us affectionately and mightily. He is our abba.

He forgives ALL our iniquities.
Everything we would ever do from the sin of anxiety to the most heinous crime to the most perverse sin, He forgives. How can He do that? Because in Isaiah 53:5 we are told that Jesus was wounded for our transgressions and that He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities. The Father can forgive you and me because Jesus took on Himself all that you would ever do wrong or fail to do right. As I sit here typing this, it is overwhelming to me that God loves me so much, He sent His only Son that I would not have to suffer the punishment for what I had done. And the way I received that pardon was to accept what His Son Jesus did for me.

He heals ALL my diseases.
The same thing applies for my diseases that applies for my sins. Jesus bore them all for me. Therefore, I am free of all sicknesses and diseases. Isaiah 53:4,5 tell me that Jesus bore my sicknesses and diseases and pains in His body and allowed stripes to be laid on His back so that I would be healed, made whole. Many people discount this scripture by saying that it is a spiritual healing Isaiah was talking about and not physical. Of course, it was spiritual. True physical healing comes out of your spirit. First, you must know, believe, have faith in your inner man (spirit) for it to affect your outer man (body).

He redeems our life from destruction.
He ransomed you; He purchased you; He literally bought you back from satan with His blood. He bought you back from death, from the pit or place that satan had scooped out for you to entrap you, to ensnare you forever. What a Savior! What a Redeemer! Take a few minutes right here and thank Him. We were doomed for destruction and Jesus came and scooped us out of the pit that satan had scooped out for us. That’s good news.

He crowns us with lovingkindnesses and tender mercies.
He encircles us, He surrounds us totally with Himself Who is Love. He has us covered from every angle and direction from the onslaught of the enemy. His Love is our protection. His mercy is to keep us from harm. In His Love is kindness, favor, mercy, compassion, tenderness.

He satisfies our mouth with good things so that our youth is renewed.
He satisfies, fills to satisfaction, fills to the full our mouth with good things. What are those good things? Philippians 4:8 has the answer. What we think on is what comes out of our mouths in abundance (Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.) So we think on things which are true, honest (worthy of reverence and honorable), just, pure, lovely, of a good report. Actually, what that boils down to is that what we think and speak is to be the Word of God. And out of that thinking and speaking comes renewed youth. Everyone is looking for the fountain of youth. You hold it in your hand when you hold your Bible, the Word of the Living, Loving God.

I speak these verses frequently but in typing this Pearls of Wisdom this day, I realize just how much my Lord has done for me. Why don’t we spend the rest of our lives pondering all that He has done. And everything else will fall into line with that thinking, pondering and speaking.