Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Communion

Communion is a vital part of our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a vibrant reminder of what Jesus has done for us and what we have available to us all the time.

Let’s look at scriptures concerning communion. We will look at exactly what the three gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke say. Then we will look at two places in 1 Corinthians.

Matthew 26:26-29
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

Mark 14:22-25
And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many,
Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Luke 22:15-20
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Corinthians 10:16,17
The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26
For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord’s death till he come.

What do we see in all these scriptures? We see the elements of covenant---the bread and the wine. When two parties in covenant partake of the bread and the cup of the fruit of the vine, they are proclaiming their relationship. They are remembering what was done to establish that covenant.

Jesus told us to partake in remembrance of Him. What are we to remember? We are to remember that it is a finished work. It is already done. Sin has been paid for. Sickness and disease has been paid for. Poverty has been paid for. That is what the word redemption means. We have been redeemed, bought with a price, the blood of Jesus. He took on himself all that was due us and gave us freedom to live in health, wealth, and righteousness in His kingdom, seated with Him far above all that would harm us.

Communion is a declaration of the finished work of Christ, proclaiming we are one, remembering Jesus Christ is our Lord over all sin and disease and poverty and signifying He is High Priest over righteousness and health and prosperity forever in the New Covenant. It is partaking with the Cup of The Blessing and the Bread of Life. He is our life. The Bread of Life represents the fullness of the Life of God (zoe), of the Life of The Blessing. The Cup of Blessing represents the fullness of the Life of God (zoe), of the Life of The Blessing. The Lord’s cup is the Cup of The Blessing. Every time we partake, we are refocusing our spiritual eyes on The Blessing. Remind yourself of The Blessing every time you take the bread and the cup of the fruit of the vine.

Gen. 1:28 And God blessed them, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God blessed, declared to them The Blessing. We bless, declare to Him that we receive the fullness of The Blessing when we take communion.