Pearls of Wisdom

God’s Word is full of Him, Who is Wisdom. Jesus is spoken of as the Wisdom of God. In the Bible the book of Proverbs is a definite book of wisdom, which is to be studied. This page is dedicated to bringing the wisdom of God’s Word to you so that you may find daily wisdom for your own life.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Psalm 23, Part 2

New Living Translation
The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

Let’s take a closer look at this Psalm.

This psalm contains 57 words, the numerical equivalent of nourishes; 227 letters, the numerical equivalent of blessing. Those who recite this psalm and live by its message will always be blessed with ample provisions.

Through David, the Lord is telling us what He is to us.

Jesus is our Shepherd, the supreme provider of all our needs. He is the One Who watches over us. We have everything we need. We do not want for anything or lack anything. He leads us and guides us and feeds us. Remember Jesus tells us in John 10:11 and 14 that He is the Good Shepherd. He gives His life for His sheep. He knows His sheep and He is known of them. They hear His voice and the voice of a stranger they will not follow. Jesus is caring for us as the Good Shepherd. He leads us; He guides us; He shields us; He provides for us; He cares for us; He leads us. He truly cares for His sheep with tender mercies and loving-kindness.

We see here the image of Christ as our Shepherd in intimacy, a personal Friend Who desires not only to meet our needs but also to overflow His Blessing, His abundance on us, His beloved ones. He is pictured as One Who takes care of everything and thus develops with us a trusting peaceful relationship.

In verse 2 we see our Lord gives us the best of food—His Word and leads us beside waters of quietness and rest, peaceful waters. Again His Word is referred to as water---the washing of water of the Word.

In verse 3 He revives life in us. He is restoring our souls. He is guiding us, leading us along right paths bringing honor to His name.

In verse 4 even if we pass through a dark, deep ravine that looks like death (That is many times where the Shepherd was with the sheep as they went from one place to another.) Actually the valley of the shadow of death, I believe, is earth. Because of Adam’s sin, death came into this world. Jesus Christ has redeemed us from the curse of sin and death. It is not a part of us when we accept Him. Nevertheless, death still is in this world. It is no longer king to rule and reign. Jesus has conquered death for us forever. It does not rule over us as His children. According to Psalm 107:14 the Lord has brought us out of darkness and the shadow of death and broke apart the bonds that held us. Also, we see in Colossians 1:13 that the Father has delivered us from the authority of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of His dear Son, the Son of His Love, Jesus Christ. And we see in Hebrews 2:14,15 that Jesus Christ took on our flesh and blood that through death he might render powerless the devil, who had the authority of death. Notice this is past tense. The devil had the power of death, but not anymore.